Thursday, June 26, 2008

Homemade Baby Food

When my first daughter was born, I bought all of her baby food premade. Gerber was my best friend! With my second daughter, I am trying my hand at making her food from scratch so it can be as healthy as I can make it. I am really amazed at how simple and inexpensive it is! I don't know why I didn't do this before! I could have saved a fortune!
So far I have served fresh from the refrigerator ... mashed bananas, fresh avocado, mashed mango, steamed carrots and yellow squash.
I do take a little help from Cascadian Farms with pureed organic summer squash and steamed edemame that I mash or throw into my food processor. I also bought a large jar of sugar-free applesauce. It is still much cheaper than if I bought them individually packaged, and I just separate them into single servings and freeze them.
I have found some great recipes here, but we are just getting started on solids.
So far, her favorites have been mashed bananas with applesauce or mashed mango. What about you? What are your favorite homemade baby food recipes?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My kids are not eating baby food anymore, but I used this website when they were little: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
There are a ton of recipes and ideas.